Lakewood University

Grants & Scholarships

Tuition Assistance for Military Students

Most active-duty military personnel, along with Army Reservists and Army National Guard members, qualify for their branch’s Tuition Assistance program. In most cases, eligible personnel who enroll have no out-of-pocket expenses due to Lakewood University’s affordable tuition. For questions about eligibility, please contact the base education office for details.

The Lorraine Dominick Grant Award

In order to be eligible for this grant the individual:

  • Must be a bonified military veteran with an honorable discharge
  • This veteran must have exhausted all military monetary educational benefits with the Department of Veteran Affairs

Once the Veteran’s Specialist has verified the two conditions have been met and the veteran has enrolled at Lakewood University, then the veteran will be awarded the grant on a first come-first served basis and based on the availability of funding in the The Lorraine Dominick Grant Award.

The Isaac Haggins Sr. Grant Program

In order to be eligible for this grant the individual:

  • Must be seeking an education with a “vulnerable” status as defined by the US Department of Health and Human Services to include individuals with disabilities -OR-
  • Must be in poverty (low socioeconomic status) -OR-
  • Must experience adverse situations (to include but not limited to criminal history concerns) -OR-
  • Must be first-generation higher education students (a student who is first in their family (generation) to attend University
Union Education Trust (UET)

Lakewood University is approved for the Career Improvement Program (CIP) which allows all eligible Ohio state bargaining unit employees to enroll in many of our programs. The UET Trustees has developed CIP to help employees prepare for tomorrow’s jobs today. CIP helps eligible state bargaining unit employees shape their futures with training in some of Ohio’s best schools. All state agencies benefit when employees develop new skills.

CIP pays up to $4,000 per fiscal year (July 1 to June 30) for tuition and mandatory instructional fees for each eligible state bargaining unit employee in the program.

My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA)
We’re a MyCAA approved school

MyCAA is a scholarship program that offers up to $4,000 of financial assistance to eligible military spouses who are pursuing a license, certification or an Associate’s degree in a portable career field and occupation.

WIOA Program Funding

Eligible job seekers can have up to $6,775 in financial assistance to pursue certification training programs like those offered by Lakewood University. We provide students with personalized, short-term training to start a new career in healthcare, business, legal, or information technology so you can compete in the job market. 

Please contact our Admissions Department at or call 1-800-517-0857, option1 for more information on the application process.

Funds that do not have to be repaid and are based on many factors, including academic merit and/or financial need. Students are encouraged to research and apply for scholarships outside of the University.

Below are resources that can aid you in the scholarship search. There is no obligation to use the websites, as students can obtain scholarships from any external source they select.

Scholarship Search Services

Find more information here: Types of Financial Aid


Degree-seeking graduate students must meet the basic eligibility rules that apply to undergraduate students and are typically only eligible for Federal Student Loans.

Graduate students may also be eligible for private student loans or employer benefits to help cover tuition costs. Graduate students can also cover the cost of tuition and fees by self-pay out of pocket.

Veterans Benefits

The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) offers several educational benefits to veterans.

GI Bill® Options

There are multiple GI Bill® benefits and each is different. We recommend that you compare your options using the GI Bill® Comparison Tool or the comparison table at the VA website. These tools can help you calculate your benefits, research approved programs, and determine eligibility.

In addition, you can view more detailed information on the following programs by clicking the links:

Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits

If you are a disabled veteran, you may be entitled to Vocational Rehabilitation education benefits from the VA which may cover up to the full cost of tuition, books, and fees. You may also receive a stipend for course enrollments and technology expenses associated with taking courses online.

Call the VA at 800-827-1000 and ask about Vocational Rehabilitation benefits. They will direct you to a case manager in your local area to review your claim. If approved, your case manager should provide the VA form 28-1905.

For more information on VA Benefits please contact the U.S Department of Veterans Affairs: 1-844-698-2311 or
Traci Wilburn
Telephone Number: 800-517-0857 X700/ Text ONLY Line: 216-678-9933

Employer Benefits

Many businesses today offer educational benefits to their employees. The process is different for each employer, but there are a few steps you’ll need to follow here in order to register and pay for courses using your employer’s benefits.

  • Check with your employer’s human resources department for specific details on the types of programs that are covered under their tuition assistance benefits.
  • We will provide you and your employer with the necessary documentation regarding tuition, fees, accreditation, course content, or other required information.
  • If your employer requires proof of final grades prior to reimbursement, you’ll need to pay your tuition and fees out-of-pocket upfront